casualties of computingnothing is ever as easy as one would have it be.
so yes, i re-assembled everything after completely removing the motherboard, putting the four screws through from the back, installing the grommets that the fan would eventually bolt onto from the top...and then replacing the motherboard, re-inserting the PCI cards, reconnecting the ATA cables, et cetera, et cetera, so on and so forth...
and when i fired it up? nothing.
so i guess the conclusion i can draw from that is that whatever CPU protection that the motherboard apparently offered was for SHIT. so - scratch one $200 Athlon XP 3200 processor...it has officially shuffled off this mortal coil.
i initially replaced it with one that i had marked down as suspect from work, but hadn't had an opportunity to test yet, and i got the same result from it...so i guess there's no reason to suspect that it works at this point. the third one was the charm - the one that i had bought to replace my daughter's charred XP 1700 processor in her computer ended up going in it, because i knew it was good, as it was still boxed. and it was...it's an AMD sempron 2200, and it's not in the league of the one i had, but i got a POST beep from it and it finally booted, after two weeks of flatlining.
the first thing i did after i got it up and running was to install motherboard monitor - it's a program that runs in the system tray that monitors the temperature of your CPU and gives you a constant readout of what it is. does it use up some system resources? yeah, it does. does replacing a $200 processor eat up some financial resources?
yeah, it does.
i mean, for something that should not have been subjected to what it was, that's just a total waste. that $200 could have gone for outboard gear, for mics, for mic stands (which i actually need right now) - for an electric space heater (which i'll soon be needing down there), for extra soundproofing (which may be necessary over time)....for whatever.
i don't mind spending money, but i hate wasting money.
anyway - computer up and running, work capable of being done.
so on this particular night, as this work was being done, jayda's producer was over and waiting for me to get the PC up and running so that i could lay down a guitar track for him for a new track he was working on - it was a barchata track...kind of a pseudo-salsa flavor, and he wanted a guitar track for it...something of a mutated flamenco thing. anyone who might have a passing familiarity with barchata music knows exactly the guitar tone that i'm talking about...and i chose to use my metal-bodied dobro for it, as that was the closest thing that i had available that was close to that particular tone.
since byron is a big fan of acid pro, i downloaded and installed version 5.0 to use to record his tracks...i wanted to make sure that he was able to use something that he was comfortable with so things would go as smoothly as possible. we mic'ed the resonator with an mxl 991, about six to eight inches from the cone, and away we went. i turned over the mouse to byron and picked up the guitar, and not even 45 minutes later, we were done.
it was really nice to have a little instant gratification after having been down for so long.
now, though, it's time to get back to work on the tasks at hand. i think i'll be doing some more work with 2Much down the road, but i have an album project and some more importing to get cracking on.
i talked to blake allen earlier today for a bit, and told him that i'd been importing a lot of the tracks from his ADATs into samplitude and isolating things and doing some rudimentary rough mixes. one track in particular, "whisper", i singled out for possibly laying down a drum track. that's the main thing about the track that seemed to bother him - the loop that's holding down the rhythm section of the song - and i'm thinking that i have some ideas for it that might loosen it up a bit from its current feel.
and if the new audix drum mics i bought arrive today as they should, i can get crackin' on that within the week.
i still have more scratch tracks to put down for the poco project, in addition to possibly importing the ones i did to ADAT while the computer was down - although i might just re-do those. in fact, i'm pretty certain that i will...in order to negate a rookie mistake i made when i was tracking them.
over on the tape op message board, there are a shitload of threads that gave me a lot of food for thought over the weekend....one that i thought was absolutely brilliant was concerning some phasing problems a guy was having recording drums - and andy hong revealed a formula for measuring the distance between the mic and the source and how to set up a delay to compensate for potential phasing problems...it was one of those things that i just know is going to come up for me at some point in time, and i hope i remember where i saw the solution when that day comes.
ok...i'll report back when i have more to report....which hopefully won't be long.